This morning, after much consideration, Boston Mayor Tom Menino announced that he wouldn't pursue a sixth term. Over the past 20 years, our noble leader has shown himself to be a food pioneer and a man of taste. A few highlights, ahead.
1. In 2004, Menino predicted sweet (really sweet) victory for wizened Red Sox fans: "Much like a cookie, I predict the Yankee dynasty will crumble and the results will be delicious for Red Sox fans," he announced at the time.
2. Menino blasted Chick-fil-A's anti-gay policies, to national acclaim: "Chick-fil-A doesnt belong in Boston. You cant have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against a population. Were an open city, were a city thats at the forefront of inclusion, he told the Boston Herald.
4. He banned sugary soda from all city offices and properties back in 2011, leading to an enormous citywide caffeine withdrawal headache.
5. He's long insisted that every city food truck must offer at least one "healthy" option. Even the cupcake trucks.
6. Dude hates Colorado Rocky beer.
7. He supported Boston's first famers' market 25 (!) years ago, and he heads up the U.S. Conference of Mayors Food Policy Task Force.
8. He's an avowed fan of biscotti.
9. He tried to build strong restaurant communities in out-of-the-way neighborhoods, like West Roxbury.
10. Like any self-respecting lunch-lover, he's gone on the record many times to say that the best sandwich in the city is found at Sam LaGrassa's.
Somber Mayor Thomas Menino heads to City Hall, to tell staff he will not seek re-election [Globe]